19 de diciembre de 2010

Bowling with Moore


I was just watching Bowling for columbine when an old memory came to mind from when I used to lived in O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave. It seems to go perfectly well with the documentary; which, by the way, tries to show an explanation to the shocking high rate of weapon-caused homicides in the US, high even compared to countries politicaly and economically similar. The explanation given is the deliberate foundation of fearful citizens.

To get you into context it was around 1999 so the Twin Towers were still up in the skies and my uncle and my grandmother came from Spain to pay us a visit and do tourism (which was the actual porpuse of the trip). Both my parents were out getting some groceries, my uncle having a nice American eggs-and-bacon breakfast and I believe the rest of my family was asleep, including me. Our neighbor passed by our backyard and literally freaked out with the sight of my uncle. It's not that he's hideous or anything, it was the simple fact of being a complete stranger that scared her (the backyard had a glass door, in case you were wondering how she could see him). So as any concerned-for-the-safety-of-the-nation citizien would have done she called the cops. Fortunatly, my parents came back to avoid my uncle's arrest for supposed illegal break-in and merciless assault to our ham supplies. The old witch was thoroughly scolded and never spoken to again and my uncle returned with the most vivid, thought out souvenir one can get.

The thing is that paranoia seems to have been very evenly spread, without discriminating foreigners. A work buddy of my dad was supossed to stay in the States untill 2003 but his family didn't get to end 2002 there. His wife could not keep on standing the fear of terrorism flourished since the S-11. The day she called the police after spotting a strange black 'thing' on her yard was the day she decided she had had enough. By the way, it turned out to be an ugly looking mushroom.

A Spaniard who wasn't even brought up there was being affected by the environment. I came back here in 2001, the summer before the attack, so I don't have any personal experience of post S-11 USA life but I'm guessing it's even more messed up.

Don't want to be an American idiot.
Don't want a nation under the new media
And can you hear the sound of hysteria?
The subliminal mind fuck America.

Welcome to a new kind of tension.
All across the alien nation.
Where everything isn't meant to be okay.
Television dreams of tomorrow.
We're not the ones who're meant to follow.
For that's enough to argue.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along to the age of paranoia.

     American Idiot, Green Day                                   




 Can you think of anyone else easier to blame?
                               

2 comentarios:

  1. Más o menos he seguido el hilo.
    Me parece que aciertas bastante con la paranoia de la gente, cada vez somos más protectores con nosotros mismos llegando a ser incluso estúpidos.
    Pd. Nah, me lo pasé bien en evacuación. Pobrecito tú que estabas en la puerta

    ResponderEliminar